Sunday 23 September 2012

REN Skincare Test Run

I'd heard a lot about REN skincare before I finally got round to trying it. Let alone hearing about it on every blog I read, my boyfriend always used to rave about their Moroccan Rose range. So when I saw Lily Pebbles' video about her sample box, I popped to my local apothecary (oo-er, apothecary), and purchased the selection for sensitive skin. I've never thought of myself as having sensitive skin before, but the gentlemen who owns the shop immediately had me down as sensitive skinned. Apparently if you experience a lot of redness, it's sensitivity. Shows how much I know, I thought that was just the colour of my skin!


For starters, this kit is just so cute. It just really appeals to me. It's such a fantastic way of trying lots of new products without having to spend an absolute fortune; you can pick up these kits for different skin types for only £13. The deluxe samples have lasted me so long and I've really been able to get an idea of whether the products suit me. 

To begin with, rather negatively, the cleanser. I hate to be a negative nelly, but I really don't like this cleanser. You apply it to dry skin, add a little water to emulsify it and then rinse it off. I found it really drying on my skin; after using it my skin felt incredibly tight and shiny. I actually think this is the product that prompted a resurgence in the eczema around my eyes. It also didn't remove any leftover makeup that well. I just found it really ineffective. Thumbs down!

The night serum is absolutely lovely, since using it I've really noticed that the redness on my skin has lessened and everything is generally clearer. It is an incredibly oily serum and when I first used it I thought it would really play havoc with my skin, but its actually a really light oil and soaks in very quickly. The only downside is, it does have a rather suspect scent to it - a sort of rotten fish smell. It's quite faint so I can just about get over it.

The stand out product for me is the day cream. It smells clean and fresh, it's light, absorbs well and is the perfect base for make up. It keeps my face hydrated for the whole day, without it feeling oily by the afternoon. I can honestly say I've noticed an improvement since using the two products together. I love it so much, I purchased full size only yesterday. I can't quite justify the serum yet though...

I'm still on the fence about the face mask, I'm not keen on the texture. It's incredibly shiny and sticky and I'm never quite sure if I've managed to remove it all! It also smells very strongly of orange, overwhelmingly so! 

Overall, I think these little sample sets are such a good idea. It's such an affordably way of trying a relatively high end skincare brand.

Are there any REN products that stand out for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for reading and commenting.

Every single comment makes me have excited tummy butterflies.